Saturday, April 10, 2010

Springtime Ramblings

  1. 1.) What's a good price for a service? It seems we always have to play "The Price is Right" when it comes time to get some work done around the house. Recently a neighbor found a "deal" on getting asphalt driveways re-sealed. (This job should be done every two or three years, but while shoveling snow I had noticed some damage at the end near the street. I knew enough to get it repaired before it got too bad.) So how much does a job like that cost? How much for the repair? Is it something I can do myself? Are special tools or skill required? Is it a job I want to do? How much for the service and the repairs?
  2. 2.) The house is dirty. Being in a development under construction a lot of dirt and dust is put into the air, and after two years (almost three now) I decided it was time to have it pressure washed. How much? Are there any 'special' considerations? Should the roof be washed as well? The deck? One bidder said he wouldn't do it because we have 'colonial style' beaded siding that will always leave streaks. How much to just have the house done?
  3. 3.) We want to have some ceiling fans put into the bedrooms before the summer heat. How much to install an ceiling outlet? Should it be switched? While I know I can do it, I really don't want to go up into the attic and dance on the joists pulling wires searching for or creating junction boxes. Certainly don't want to do it in the summertime. ('Been there, done that.) How much for each unswitched outlet?
  4. 4.) We still have the 'builder's landscaping' and would like to do something to improve the curb appeal. Now I've dug some holes in this rock-yard and don't look forward to the pick axe and nitro needed to put in an ornamental tree. Can I get a design and some help with the heavy lifting? How much should I budget for the plan?
Match :
A) $250 B) $175 C)$200 D) $400

I was preparing for a webex drinking an early morning cup of coffee when the crash happened. A glass 'crunch' or 'thump'. After two years of hanging quietly in the liquor cabinet, my glass shelf decided to fall. Fortunately enough tall bottles on the lower shelf minimized the fall so that no damage was done. But why now? The little metal shelf holders just gave way. My project will be to install permanent shelf supports rather then try to fix the holes for the adjustable supports. It just seems odd that they would give up now.

We went out with the neighbors last night to The Pike Township Sportsmen's Ass'n. for dinner. I applied for membership. I've been looking for an outdoor range and this looks perfect. Maybe I'll be able to kill a few skeet this year.

No comments: