Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dust Storm

The sun was just peeking above the mountains when I heard the diesel engine come to life. I was too busy getting my day started to pay much attention to it and settled in to get the late night email done. When I looked up to get another coffee I noticed the brown cloud wafting between the houses. I went to the front dining room window and saw a machine like this attacking the dirt mound in the vacant lot across the street. Two 'scrapers' were being pulled by a big green 'John Deer' up one side of the mound, then pulled around the side of the hill out to the street. The the train headed around the circle to the other side where the opened up to deposit the soil in a vacant lot over there. Back it came for another load. Eight hours a day for two days this awesome machine moved tons of dirt without the driver even getting out of his cab.

The construction is really back in full swing. Five houses are either built or in some stage of being built. I'm not sure if they are already sold, but in any case it is good to see the activity.

No comments: