Friday, August 7, 2009

A console table

My bride decided that she needed a table between the love seat and the wall to display some art pieces. I decided to use my power tools to build one, rather then go to the furniture show room and over pay for a table that really wasn't going to be seen.

My initial plan was to visit the local do-it-yourself store and pick up some Queen Anne style legs and attach a simple skirt and top with scrap lumber. The legs weren't available. Second option was to build some simple legs from some 2X stock, but after I did some simple mock ups, the legs looked too...spindly. So, option three was to build up some legs and the rest of the base with 3/4 MDF.

I really don't like working with MDF as it is very dusty. While it does machine well, and paints up great, the saw dust is very fine and invades every spot in the workshop. When the shop is the garage, it also infiltrates the house whenever you open the door. Cleanup is a real pain.

Having made the choice and with raw materials at hand I started the glue up for the legs. I doubled the thickness first, then tripled the material by adding a piece to the exposed cut side. This left manufactured surfaces at each corner for paint. I tapered the feet to give them some 'lightness', and attached them to the skirt with a three degree splay along the longitudinal axis, square at the ends. Next I added a spreader at about midway height to give the structure some strength. I am pleased with the overall design. I finished it with a satin black left over from a previous furniture project.

The table top was special. I had a five foot long, thirteen inch wide piece of walnut, a single board that would fit this project perfectly. I spent some time running it through the planer, then squared the edges with table saw and jointer. Next I curved the ends in a broad radius (R=W) and eased all the edges with the router. It has beautiful grain and character, knots and a little sap wood and gorgeous highlights around some of the knots. I finished it with satin poly'. Unfortunately, as with most single boards, it also has a lot of warp.

I used the three degree skirt to cut some support blocks at the same angle to hold the top to the table. No glue, just the wedged supports and screws. This should allow the single board to move as it picks up and releases moisture, rather then cracking.

She likes it.

No comments: