Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It's Broken

  1. While I was working on the console table, my orbital sander came apart. The 'hook & loop' pad separated from the base and went flying across the room like a Frisbee. Amazon had the replacement part, and a good deal on some sand paper.
  2. I went for a glass of crushed ice from the fridge and got nothing. The ice maker providing 'through the door' convenience stopped making ice. The little arm that tells the system that the ice box is full was frozen in the full position. The placard next to the arm said not to force it or it might damage the ice maker. A call to the service department confirmed that it wasn't a warranty item so I took it apart and defrosted it. Iced tea available again.
  3. As I was enjoying the glass of iced tea while sitting on the garage steps, I noticed a water stain on the ceiling. That would be right beneath the master shower stall. Inspection revealed that the caulk had failed allowing water to seep in behind the tiles. A little scraping and a wet finger smoothed the new caulk into place. I think I'll check the hall bathroom for any similar problem.
  4. The snow thrower died after going two feet into the last snow storm. This one was under warranty and after nearly six months I got it back from the repair shop. Turns out it was a cracked cylinder. Its back in the garage waiting for the next storm.
  5. The bill came from Dish Network saying they had to charge me extra because my receivers weren't hooked up to a phone line. They download programming that way and charge extra if you use the dish for this purpose. In my intelligently wired house, no phone lines are place near where I want the HDMI signal to originate. I bought some remote "Phonex" jacks but constantly got red lights indicating line failure. After closely reading the installation instructions (again), I found that you must plug these things directly into the wall, not power strips. Green lights.
  6. So, as I sat down to watch my favorite political opinion broadcast I was surprised to hear a muffled pop followed by multicolored vertical lines across my LCD TV. This one is also under warranty and the Geek Squad sent out a repairman yesterday. Light tube and power supply failure. Seems this one should have been plugged into the surge protector, not the wall. Parts should be in later this week. I'm investigating getting a whole house surge protector.

No comments: